Breaking News
Loading...

For the Record: Cash Myers' memorable Dixie National Rodeo

 Cash Myers has been going down the road in ProRodeo since 1998. Even after all those years, one of his most memorable performances came when he was just 20 years old.

In 2001, Myers traveled to Jackson, Miss., and put on a show. Competing in steer wrestling and tie-down roping, he broke the all-around money record, earning $10,913 at the Dixie National Rodeo.


"I have always liked that rodeo because it wasn't one of the premier (winter) ones, but it was always a good rodeo to me and my family," said Myers, 41. "I don't remember that year particularly, that was a long time ago, but I do know I've had quite a bit of success there over the years."


The win in Jackson came while Myers was in the prime of his PRCA career. He has qualified for the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo eight times (one in tie-down roping, seven in steer wrestling) and the National Finals Steer Roping seven times (2002, 2005-09, 2021).


It was a long break in his rodeo career that pointed him in new direction and eventually led him to qualifying for the NFSR in Mulvane, Kan. this season for the first time in 12 years.


"I was out there rodeoing pretty hard up until about 2010. Then I decided to step away," he said. "I had kids at home and did stuff differently for a while.


"I hardly went at all until last year, but I had a good steer roping horse. I did some at home and finally decided I would go out and rope steers again."


Myers finished 12th in the steer roping PRCA | RAM World Standings last year, but suffered a shoulder injury that will keep him out until the midway point of the 2022 season. He's excited to get back out there and make another push towards the finals.


"I tore my shoulder up at the steer roping finals last year," Myers said. "I had a full reconstructive surgery on my shoulder. Luckily, I did well in the fall and have something started off for the new year. I'm just going to be rehabbing, getting healthy, and be ready to go in June. My plan is to go and get after it then and see what happens."

 

Dixie National Rodeo records

Total payout:                $235,059, 2015

All-around:                   $10,913, Cash Myers, steer wrestling and tie-down roping, 2001

Bareback riding:          91 points, Justin McDaniel, 2009; Richmond Champion, 2021

Steer wrestling:           2.9 seconds, J.W. Farrington, 1983 (6.6/2, John W. Jones Jr., 1983)

Team roping:               3.6 seconds, Jake Orman/Tyler Domingue, 2017 (8.4/2, Clayton Hass/John Robertson, 2017)

Saddle bronc riding:    89 points, Billy Etbauer, 2005; Levi Berry, 2007

Tie-down roping:         6.8 seconds, Stran Smith, 2001 (15.4/2, Jesse Childers, 2005)

Barrel racing:              13.89 seconds, Randee Prindle, 2021

Bull riding:                   94 points, Trey Traweek, 2008

Post a Comment

0 Comments